Upstream Oil & Gas
A few projects, representative of our upstream work in this sector, include:
- Representing several major US oil companies in all their upstream projects in Ukraine, and regularly providing legislative comments on both the licensing regime and the PSA regime on behalf of these companies to the Government of Ukraine.
- Advising a major international oil & gas company on the rules for transfer of rights and obligations under a Georgian PSA.
- Advising on implementation of an oil consortium agreement among local and major international oil companies in Kazakhstan.
- Over the course of several years, researching and reporting to the Petroleum Advisory Forum (a Moscow-based organization of major international oil & gas companies) on developments in Russian PSA legislation.
- Advising a major U.S. oil company on the legal status of its rights to oil extracted from the Caspian Sea Basin under Russian and international law.
- Advising an independent U.S. oil & gas company on its joint venture project in Ukraine, including reformulation of the existing subsoil use license, negotiations with its joint venture partners and restructuring the joint venture project into a PSA.
- Representing an independent U.S. oil & gas company in its negotiations with the Ukrainian Government on acquiring subsoil use licenses for exploration of two oil fields in the Carpathian region.
- Representing the leading independent U.S. oil & gas company in a PSA project in the offshore Black Sea area, including working with its Ukrainian partners and the Ukrainian Government.
- Representing the same leading independent U.S. oil & gas company on its onshore projects under the licensing regime, carrying out due diligence of existing subsoil licensees and assisting in negotiating joint exploration and production with local license holders.
- Representing a large US CBM company on their CBM projects in Ukraine, including analyzing the current regime and the proposed CBM legislation pending before the Ukrainian Parliament.